Dr. Colin Birch undertook his initial medical training in Newcastle England, followed by training in General Surgery in London, England. His sense of adventure brought him to Canada where he completed residency training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Memorial University, Newfoundland.
Timmins, Ontario was home to his OB/GYN practice for 10 years before undertaking sub-speciality training in Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery from 2000-1 at St George’s Hospital, London, England. He continues to practice complex, high risk obstetrics at the Foothills Hospital in addition to his Urogynecology practice. A strong collaborator in the Section’s clinical trials, Dr. Birch is frequently invited to speak and collaborate at national conferences regarding his research experiences and expertise in surgical management of placental invasion. Previously the site lead for OB/GYN at the Foothills Medical Centre, Colin is currently President of the Western Society of Pelvic Medicine.
- Brennand EA, Tang S, Birch C, Murphy M, Ross S, Robert M; Calgary Women’s Pelvic Health Research Group. Five years after midurethral sling surgery for stress incontinence: obesity continues to have an impact on outcomes. Int Urogynecol J. 2016 Sep 29. Epub.
- Brennand EA, Bhayana D, Tang S, Birch C, Murphy M, Cenaiko D, Ross S, Robert M. Anchor placement and subsequent movement in a mesh kit with self fixing tips: a 6 month follow up of a prospective cohort. BJOG January 2014:1-7.
- Brennand EA, Tang S, Williamson T, Birch C, Murphy M, Robert M, Ross S; Calgary Women’s Pelvic Health Research Group. Twelve-month outcomes following midurethral sling procedures for stress incontinence: impact of obesity. Published on line. BJOG 2014;DOI: 10.1111/1471-0528.13132.
- Peters KM, Dmochowski RR, Carr LK, Robert M, Kaufman MR, Sirls LT, Herschorn S, Birch C, Kultgen PL, Chancellor MB. Autologous muscle derived cells for treatment of stress urinary incontinence in women. J Urol. 2014 Aug;192(2):469-76
- Robert M, Birch C, et al. Absorbable mesh augmentation compared with no mesh for anterior prolapse : a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Feb;123(2pt 1) 288-294
- Carr L, Robert M, Birch C, et al. Autologous muscle derived cell therapy for stress urinary incontinence: a prospective dose ranging study. J Urol 2013 Feb;189 (2);595-601.
- Goeffrion R, Murphy M, Birch C, et al. Vaginal Paravaginal Repair with Porcine Small Intestine Submucosa : Midterm Outcomes. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery 2012. Volume 17, Number 4, July/August: 174-179.
- Lier D, Ross S, Tang S, Robert M, Jacobs P; Calgary Women’s Pelvic Health Research Group. Trans-obturator tape compared with tension-free vaginal tape in the surgical treatment of stress urinary incontinence: a cost utility analysis. BJOG. 2011 Apr;118(5):550-6.
- Ross S, Robert M, Birch C, et al. Transobturator tape compared to tension free vaginal tape for stress incontinence : a randomized trial.Obstet Gynecol 2009 Dec;114(6):1287-94.
- Glaze S, Ross S, Birch C, et al. Peripartum Hysterectomy 1999-2006. AMJOG 2008;111:732-738
- SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines. Laparoscopic Entry : A Review of Techniques, Technology and Complications.2007.
- Robert M, Birch C, et al. 5 Cases of Tape erosion after Trans-Obturator Surgery for Urinary Incontinence.Obstet Gynecol:107;472-475.
- Birch C. The Use of Prosthetics in Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery. Best Practice in Obstet and Gynecol. October 2005.
- Nelson G, Birch C. Compression Sutures for Post partum Uterine Atony and Hemorrhage. Int J Gynecol and Obstet.2006; 92 :248-250.
- Dobson A, Robert M, Birch C. Trans-Obturator Surgery for Stress Incontinence :Follow up of a cohort of 52 women. Int Urogyn J.March 2006.
- SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines 131. Emergency Contraception. 2004.
- SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines 128. Management of Leiomyomas’.2003.
- SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines. 109. Hysterectomy. JSOGC 2002.
- Birch C, Fynes M. The Use of Synthetic and Biological Prostheses in Pelvic Floor Surgery. Current Opinion Obstetrics and Gynecology. October 2002.